You are here
Understand the supply and demand fundamentals of the Japanese power market to seize opportunities and manage risks
The EPSI Platform combines constantly updated and high quality Japanese infrastructure and market data with flexible, insightful market modelling capabilities
Interest is growing in the fast-liberalising Japanese power market. Still, traders and investors face limited market information, a lack of liquidity, and reluctance to rely on the nascent spot market. Incumbent utilities and new entrants in both generation and retail must make important decisions about current and future commitments in assets and business plans.
Power trading has slowly gathered momentum over the last five years in Japan and sped up with complete market liberalization in 2016. Since then, a larger volume of transactions and better data transparency have improved visibility and makes it a very attractive market (worth 150 billion dollar since beginning of 2016).
In this context, market participants require insights into future development of the Japanese power market. This includes not only a view on power prices but also fuel consumption, asset dispatch, and portfolio profitability, just to name a few.
Features of the EPSI Platform:
- Powerful yet easy-to-use scenario analysis based on cutting-edge power market modelling technology
- High quality, up-to-date infrastructure data as well as market data from internal and leading external sources available in one convenient 'Data Store' hub
- Personalized dashboard with comprehensive data visualizations that are shared by teams
- Fully covers the 10-zone Japanese power market
A unique combination of market insight, thorough data research, relevant data streams, cutting-edge market modelling, and rigorous quality control allows the EPSI Platform to provide an unparalleled depth and quality of Japanese power market fundamental data and analysis. EPSI's infrastructure data has been developed and fine-tuned by sector experts, and is updated on a continuous basis from different sources. All data is fully sourced so as to provide total transparency, and the web-based nature of the platform means never having to wait for data updates or software downloads.
EPSI’s scenario analysis capabilities are fully integrated with this data, and provide a unique level of speed and flexibility to explore scenarios in a hosted, highly visual, and easy-to-use environment. It has been especially designed to meet the needs of a wide range of users including traders, analysts and executives.
You are here
Explore key drivers of the Japanese power market with EPSI's scenario analysis capability
Cutting-edge market modelling, using high-quality infrastructure data and fundamental data from the EPSI Market Data Store, provides the flexibility to explore customized short-term and long-term power market views at the push of a button
The EPSI Platform's powerful, yet easy-to-use scenario analysis capability offers the flexibility to explore power market views, whether looking at day-ahead trading or longer-term strategic decisions spanning decades. The user is in full control of each scenario, allowing for exploration of key drivers such as demand forecasts and growth, the nuclear restart, wind and solar capacity growth, commodity price development, and zonal transmission upgrades.
EPSI's unique level of usability and rich visualization capability does away with the need for specialised training, and makes EPSI the ideal tool to take along to meetings in order to improve communication within and across teams, and to deepen the development of insights.
Key Benefits of the EPSI Platform:
- Quickly adjust scenarios in a constantly changing market, using the latest infrastructure and market data
- Stress test positions and explore what-if situations
- Guide strategic and investment decisions to explore mid and long-term vision
- Develop insights quickly with rapid model iterations
- Save time on implementation with ready-to-run, secure hosted platform approach
- Expert support via email and telephone
Key Features of the EPSI Platform:
- Unparalleled usability through clever interface design that adjusts to different user requirements
- Full user control of all scenario assumptions at hourly resolution
- Ability to connect to either EPSI default data, vendor data streams, or user provided data
- Access powerful methodologies including hydro storage modeling, unit commitment analysis, and transmission interface constraints
- Industry standard optimization-based power market modelling framework that is extensible and fully transparent
- Cutting edge modeling engine with unparalleled execution speeds
- Hosted platform enabling parallelisation of model runs
You are here
Unparalleled depth and quality of Japanese infrastructure data
Access comprehensive and up-to-date infrastructure data, in the format you need most, and connect it into your market analysis
The EPSI Platform provides an unparalleled depth and quality of infrastructure data spanning the Japanese power market. This data has been developed and fine-tuned by sector experts over many years, and is constantly updated by an in-house research team. All data is fully sourced so as to provide total transparency. Additionally, the web-based nature of the platform means never having to wait for data updates.
EPSI Platform Infrastructure Data Consists Of:
- Plant owner, fuel type, and technology type
- Commissioning date and status changes which include mothballing, upgrades, planned closures, and closures
- Capacity, efficiency as well as variable and fixed costs
- Location coordinates and plant photos
You are here
The hub for historical data, market forward curves and fundamental forecasts from leading data vendors
Leverage high quality fundamental market data that is critically important to power market modelling
Having the right information at your fingertips, ready-to-use, means scenarios can be created instantly, run easily and amended as often as situations change. The EPSI Market Data Store is a highly structured and visual storage mechanism for all time-series information related to power market fundamentals:
The EPSI research team continuously adds and updates historical data series (demand, renewables, hydro, generation by fuel, etc.) and forward looking scenario assumptions from standard industry reports. Japanese power market data is often not transparent, and very careful interpretation and Japanese language skills are required to ensure that the data is fit for purpose. The EPSI research team has considerable experience in this field, and ensures that the Market Data Store delivers an unparalleled breath and quality of Japanese power market data.
Availability data plays a critical role in the power market. Genscape offers a unique service providing plant availability information in the form of timeseries mapped to the respective power plant. These are derived from powerful processes that collect, clean, and analyse plant availability messages from transparency platforms such as HJKS.
Vendor data from Genscape partners is available for licensing. This is particularly focused on short term forecasts of demand and renewables production. By hosting these relationships within EPSI, there is no need for laboriously setting up paperwork for separate Vendor relationships and data connections. In EPSI, this data is updated automatically, checked and verified.
Your own data is very easily uploaded into the Store, using CSV files, copy-paste, or fully automatable XML. This ensures that your latest in-house data is available for the whole team for their scenarios and dashboards.
The EPSI Data Store allows users to access industry leading data for use with the EPSI Platform, and combines all data relevant to power market modelling:
- Pick-and-choose capability for easy exploration
- Direct link to scenario analysis
- Integrate in-house data for use by the whole team for scenarios and dashboards
- Vendor data avoids multiple discoveries and contracting processes
You are here
Total Japanese Power Market Coverage
EPSI provides detailed coverage of the 10-zone Japanese power market:
For each of these zones, EPSI provides access to detailed plant and demand data, historical data on fundamental drivers such as hydro, interconnection and CHP, up-to-date market price data, and powerful fundamental scenario analysis capabilities.
The option to access only the infrastructure data is also available for those requiring a simpler analysis or data integration with in-house analytical systems.